Help! I desperately need a new coat this season and really want to add a patterned wool top coat to my wardrobe.
So what am I looking for?
- Fit – This is key. As much as I love the masculine unstructured coat that is really popular, it just doest not flatter my frame. I’m short and unstructured big coat tends to swallow my petite size.
- Price – This is a biggie. I have budgeted for $500 max. That includes the tax (fingers crossed).
- Quality – This is really important to me. I have always invested in my clothes and accessories and I’m looking for a well made coat that will last for many years.
- Color & Material – I am looking for a patterned 100% wool coat in a mid to long length.
So I’ve been looking online for weeks now and have complied the final four contenders below.
1. J.Crew Oversized Top Coat
My first stop is always J.Crew. They always have a great coat selection and more importantly, items also come in petite sizing! And I also love that I can always find a sales code online for a nice little discount.
This is the oversized top coat in English herringbone wool. It is designed to hit just above the knee and has a really nice menswear inspired silhouette that I really like. I also love the herringbone pattern. It’s made from England’s Abraham Moon mill known for producing some of the worlds finest textiles since 1837 (I love this little tidbit). It also comes in camel color and has a pocket inside the lining.
2. J.Crew Single Breasted Top Coat
Another J.Crew coat made the list with this single breasted top coat. This is a beautiful black, light pink, and orange plaid print that has a retro 70’s feel about it that I just love about this piece. It is slightly more tailored at the waist versus the first J.Crew coat which I like; its clean, simple silhouette.
3. Teoh & Leo Red, White and Black Plaid Top Coat
This coat is a beauty. I found it on 100 Year Party‘s website and I instantly went goggly eyed for it. I love the way the pattern lines up at the seams and how the plaid fades into the black background. This coats’ colors are by far my favorite. I adore the dropped shoulder, the large front pockets with flaps and it’s fully lined with red piping accents, ohh lala. The only downside about this one is that its a wool blend with only 50% wool, 33% polyester and 17% acrylic. Does this pattern outweigh the wool mixed material? That is the big question. I’m going to have to really think about that one.
4. Vanessa Seward Checked Wool Top Coat
I found this on The Outnet and is by Vanessa Seward, who has a super impressive resume working with the likes of Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel and Tom Ford at Yves Saint Laurent, so this girl knows a thing or two about French style and fashion. This coat has a great silhouette (great length, good size lapels, double breasted) and I love the extra front pockets at the top near the bust and hips. The checkered pattern is absolutely lovely and there are no awkward seams aligning the print together (big points!). But what I really like best about this coat versus the previous 3 is that this is 100% wool and that its 55% off the regular price.
So these are it.
My top two are J.Crew’s oversized top coat and Teoh & Leo’s black plaid coat. Both are dreamy and if I could get both I would. Right now J.Crew is having a 35% off sale for members so I’ll have to act fast if I choose that.
Let me know your thoughts below with which coat you’d buy and why. Love to hear your opinion.